How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12189
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I had a garage converted into a bedroom with ensuite wet

This answer was rated:

Hi. I had a garage converted into a bedroom with ensuite wet room in 2014. I am now trying to remortgage the house and the solicitor is asking about building regulations completion certificate which I do not have and was not aware I needed.
On completion of the work the builder said he was struggling to get somebody to come out inspect the electrical work who would provide a certificate for that but he has not as yet brought anybody to look at this even though we keep chasing him (and have for the last 16 months).
I would just like to know where I stand with regard to legally making him get the electrical work approved which I assume I need to obtain the aforementioned building completion certificate as I am getting nowhere speaking to him as he keeps making excuses?
Thank you.
If the builder is contracted to provide an electrical certificate and he hasn't done so despite your requests, you should commission an electrical test yourself so that you can at least apply for a retrospective certificate for the conversion. You can then sue the builder for the cost of the electrical certificate if necessary. I would also comment that a reputable builder would have told you that you needed local authority permission to do the conversion to start with and for that reason alone it might be better to have the electrical testing done independently.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Will suing the builder for the cost of the certificates be difficult and will it be costly for me?
The cost will be well below the small claim limit so you should be able to do this yourself without incurring solicitors fees.
JGM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you