How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I ordered a mobile phone with a free £300 gift card. I got

This answer was rated:

I ordered a mobile phone with a free £300 gift card. I got an email back confirming the order. Next day I had an email asking me to phone them, they said the deal had changed and it was only £200 gift card. I argued it but was told well you won't get a better deal as we are the only ones that offer it. Can I insist on having the £300 card?
Did it change before you ordered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ordered online, got an email from them confirming it. Then was asked to call them to confirm details. On the call they said it was only a £200 gift card. I objected but was effectively told well tough that's what the deal is, and you won't better it because we are the only ones who offer this deal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it was on when I ordered it, but they rescinded the deal before I got the phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But the website was still showing the same deal. So they were promoting the £300 but not honouring it.
Are you prepared to sue them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure as its a big company ... Just annoyed that they refuse to honour the deal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I could go via small claims? Never done anything like that so not sure costs to me to do it ... Don't know if I could afford to.
In principle you are entitled to the deal that you were offered but the fact remains that they are not willing to offer that. In those circumstances your only real options are either to accept that or to sue.If you do sue then it is only a small claims court sum and they might well settle as it isn't worth the manpower cost of litigating. You can issue I would send them a letter before action giving them fourteen days warning first to protect you from costs.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for that ... I hadn't thought about doing that. I'll send them a letter. Thank you.
No problem and all the best. Please remember to rate my answer. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brilliant . Many thanks :)
All the best