How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

My dog has a heart murmur, I took her to the vets in January

This answer was rated:

My dog has a heart murmur, I took her to the vets in January for a cough and erratic breathing, we came away with antibiotics for kennel cough. I took her again Feb 8 as she had deteriorated more similar tablets. She went to have a scan at emergency vets on Monday 11, she didn't get the scan as he suggested not concentrate on the murmur as it was a lower respiratory infection and more antibiotics. The following sat am 13 Feb she collapsed unable to breath, taken to a different vet practice, her mouth was blue and on oxygen until the following day. Monday she had an ECG and has an over enlarged heart resulting in heart failure. Should this have been noticed earlier and any chance of compensation?
My name is ***** ***** I am a solicitor based in London. What do you wish to achieve from this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Compensation/money towards the latter final bill of £1256.76 not including taxis getting her emergency treatment, regards
Good morning. It sounds like the vet was negligent and failed to exercise reasonable care and skill. You cannot claim for the suffering to your dog but you can certainly make a claim for the expenses you have incurred. Because the sum involved is relatively small you don't need to go to the expense of instructing a solicitor but you can write to the vet yourself setting out full details of your claim including all the expenses you have incurred and ask for a reimbursement within 14 days. If no payment is made you can sue the vet in the County Court using the Ministry of Justice portal - You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alice, received reply from Yorkshire vets, Ed Morton, who I saw the Monday before Ellie collapsed. He says my recollection of ellies visit is somewhat different to theirs. A lot of clinical stuff, covering himself, basically he's considered my claim for reimbursement and doesn't think it has any valid basis, regards