How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Good MorningMy County Council planted a hedge row at the

This answer was rated:

Good Morning
My County Council planted a hedge row at the rear of my garden over 20 years ago which was planted on their land which left approx. This left about 1 and half metres my side which I have used as my own for over twenty years without question.
The council have new tenants of the farm behind me who now want to erect a wooden fence behind me but have said they want all materials stored there and some brick weave pulled up.
can you please help me with advise.
Kind regards
Clive ***
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What is it you want to achieve please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex
I would like to keep the very small strip that in my opinion the council have abandoned. I should just say that I think the council planted the hedge etc in 1998/1999 and so not twenty years. I hope I can insist that should they wish to erect a fence it should be on their side of the hedge.KRClive
Did you register the strip at the land registry to claim adverse possession?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I didn't ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi AlexI was not aware I could register the strip.KRClive
It's bad news then. If you have not registered the land then it does not belong to you. It makes no difference how long you have used it for, if it's not registered then it's not yours.This means the land will always be theirs and a such they can take the hedge down and put something else there.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clairfy anything for you about this today pleaseAlex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Alex that's fine.KRClive
Good luck.AlexIf this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you