How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35211
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

At the moment I can't afford a solicitor. My wife has sent

This answer was rated:

At the moment I can't afford a solicitor. My wife has sent papers through to be filled out, but I've been told during a free consultation with a solicitor not to sign anything without legal representation. Do I have to meet the deadlines they have stated, or is there some leeway in how long I have to respond to her solicitors requests?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhat papers have you been sent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have requested that I fill in form E think its disclosure of financial assets by the 23rd of March. Blank divorce petition papers will be sent through in the next couple of days.
Sorry - just to check - as yet the divorce has not even started?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She's the petitioner. I've received the initial draft copies for the divorce papers. We were going to have a consent order written up to settle out of court, but I received a letter yesterday stating that she wants full disclosure of assets in court. Not quite sure what counts has started. Just need to know if I have to comply with the dates requested by the solicitor, and implications if I don't.
At this stage what is being requested is purely voluntary - so if you do not comply then nothing will happen in the immediate future.However in the longer term then if financial issues are going to be resolved then there will have to be an exchange of financial information in some form.An alternative option to completing the form could be to suggest that you attend Family mediation together to try and resolve any problems.There will still have to be an exchange of financial information but you may feel safer doing so in a less adversarial way.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you