How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JustAnswerKM Your Own Question
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 42
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
Type Your Law Question Here...
JustAnswerKM is online now

I want to get a divorce from my wife who lives in the USA,

This answer was rated:

I want to get a divorce from my wife who lives in the USA, I haven't seen or heard from her for 24 years it was a silly thing we did and it only lasted a few months, I've been trying to find her by Internet searches and the like, but no luck, I'm thinking of hiring a private detective to trace her. If I do trace her, would it be easier to divorce her in the uk or in Texas USA. What can I do if I don't manage to trace her. Many tx martin
Good evening Martin Thank you for your message. I will do my best to help. If you are a UK citizen/resident, it would be easier to apply for a divorce here in the UK. So if you trace her, you can start the divorce proceedings here on the grounds that you have lived apart for more than 5 years. If you are unable to trace her, the Court can end the marriage without sending your wife a divorce petition. You will first have to fill in the divorce petition, giving her last known address. The fee is £410. Then send the petition with a copy to your local County Court. Don't forget to keep a copy for yourself. The Court will let you know if it’s returned unopened. You then need to show that you’ve done everything you can to find her, for example by contacting her relatives (including any children), friends, last known employer, bank or building society, professional organisation etc. If you still can’t find her, fill in the 'statement to dispense with service of divorce petition' and pay the £50 fee. You can obtain the divorce petition and statement to dispense, from your local County Court. I hope that helps. Kind regards Krystel *Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it make any difference if we were married in the USA. What kind of time scales are we talking about. Tx martin
Hello It makes no difference, just so long as you have the original wedding certificate. If you don't have it, you will have to obtain one either from the venue where the ceremony took place or at the local registrar.Time scales depend on the local Courts (some are busier than others) but typically for a straight forward divorce between 2 and 3 months. Thanks Krystel
JustAnswerKM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you