12826847

I was called this morning at 8.30 to inform me that a DWP officer

I was called this morning at 8.30 to inform me that a DWP officer wanted to visit me on Monday morning. I had been receiving Contributory ESA, and I received my ill health occupational pension last year. I did not inform them as I thought I was still eligible to receive ESA as it was Contributory. I was contacted last month to inform me that it had come to their attention that I was receiving my pension, my ESA was stopped & I may have been overpaid. I then received another letter informing me of a possible civil penalty of £50 in addition to the overpayment issue and inviting me to tell them in writing why I had not informed them of my change in circumstances. I wrote a few weeks ago informing them as above that I thought I was still eligible and I also have been very ill. I assume this has prompted the visit; Is this usual DWP practice, and what rights do they have to ask for information on the visit e.g. my savings info? I received my pension following a lengthy Appeal and it was backdated to when I lost my job, but came though as one payment including the arrears, in June last year. Can the DWP force me to pay back all the ESA I have received and also prior to June last year when I had no other income but my ESA. I had paid NI contributions for 30 years and feel I am being treated like a criminal. Ii need some advice on what to expect, what my rights are and what legally they can ask me to pay back
Are you asking if they have done anything unlawful?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, but I need advice on what legally they can ask me about e.g financial info and what I can be forced to pay back, prior to receiving my pension - details of which I related in my question.