How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I completed a job 5 years ago on a property which was completed

Customer Question

I completed a job 5 years ago on a property which was completed correctly & passed by a local building inspector, extra work was done to external stone wall with no guarantee for this but other building was under guarantee, customer has been going around to other work & slandering us off about our work saying we should not have us to do the building work saying we are rubbish these new customer have told them that we are doing a proper good job & go away & stop spreading bad about us lv been working local for 25 years & no problems what can l do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you think l can do to the question l asked
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you any answers to reply for my question l submitted
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
But what do you actually want to get out of this - just stop them spreading this information?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have iPad £38 already & you have taken this out but haven't come back to me why
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Please read the history of our correspondence above - I have twice asked you to clarify what you are hoping to achieve - I don't want to stab in the dark and provide answers which may not be relevant. I know you have given me the history of the situation but I actually need to know what you wish to get out of this so I can advise accordingly. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can l write her a letter to stop what she is doing or am l in the wrong as she said that she would put this on local face book slating us down
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. It would appear that this person is potentially guilty of defamation by spreading untrue information about you. Whilst this may amount to defamation (this includes libel if it is in written form, or slander if it is in oral form), such claims are extremely difficult to pursue. Many people are intent on suing for defamation without having any appreciation of the law behind them, so I will try and clear things up for you now. First of all, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are: 1. The statement has to be untrue.2. It must directly identify the complainant.3. It must have been published, usually communicated to at least another person.4. It must be in a form of words, which would tend to lower the claimant in the estimation of ‘right thinking members of society generally', expose the claimant to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or cause the claimant to be shunned or avoided.5. Its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant. Whilst it may be easy to prove that defamation has occurred, the legal process of pursuing such a claim is extremely complex and expensive. As this goes through the High Court, you would need the professional help of specialist defamation solicitors and the costs are undoubtedly going to run into the thousands right at the outset. Also there is no legal aid available for such claims so the complainant must fund these personally. So when you hear about defamation claims being made, these are usually pursued by big corporations or celebrities who have a public image to protect. You must also consider whether the party alleged of making the defamatory statement can defend the claim. Even if you satisfy the criteria to prove the statement was defamatory it could be defended on a number of grounds, including by providing evidence that the statement was substantially true or an honest opinion. There is of course nothing stopping you from contacting the other party and threatening them that what they have done amounts to defamation and that you will consider pursuing the matter further if they do not retract their statement. This could prompt them to reconsider their position, but I would not recommend that you actually proceed with a claim for defamation due to the issues highlighted above. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that all l can do as lv contacted her but she is going to a criminal solicitor
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
This has nothing to do with criminal law so her going to a criminal solicitor will not get very far. This is a civil matter - you can also consider accusing her of harassment and if you need me to discuss that in more detail I will be happy to do so, please remember to leave your rating though, thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you