We are a sponsored academy who rent rooms in a property on

We are a sponsored academy who rent rooms in a property on site to a local radio station who have broadcast licenses so this is not a problem, we have a long term lease from the local council for the schools property site, the radio station have requested if they can have access into the early hours of the evening to present live shows (the building they present from is separate to the main school building but still our building and on the main school site)- we do not know if there are any restrictions on us to allow this or where we would look to find any such restrictions? please can you assist? thanks
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What is it you want to achieve please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We need to make sure if we agree to allow them extended access to the building that we are not breaking any laws and getting ourselves into hot water, we are a school and this is not our area of expertise - I assume any restrictions would be in the lease documents from the local authority and if there are none we are able to operate at any hour providing we will not be disturbing local tenants?
I assume you have permission to sublet from the Council?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe in the past the council has been happy for us to do short term room hire etc but I have not come across anything in writing - for any sublets of long term premises yes we have.
Is there anything in your long lease that allows you to sub let?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is nothing mentioned on sub let in the long lease
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
found this in it:
not to underlet any part or parts for a term (including any option to renew) in excess of 3 years except that the tenant may grant to bcfc an underlease for a term of fifteen years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the tenant may share occupation of the whole or any part of the premises with a company that is a member of the same group as the tenant within the meaning of the landlord and tenants act 1954 section 42 for so long as both companies remain members of that group
Ok - how long have you granted the radio a term for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 years they would like 5 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
any agreement is likely to be renewed at the end of the term - if we are able to?
Ok - you cant grant 5 years because of the lease. This is because the main lease says you can't grant in excess for 3 years. So you need to get permission from the Council if you want to do that.But save for that there are not any issues. I would however make sure that you have adequate insurance in the event the radio causes you loss or business interruption.But as far as this is concerned you can only sublet for 3 years or less. You can renew it as its 3 year terms you are limited to.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
lastly - there is not limitation on the hours we allow them to operate? I cannot see anything in the long lease about operating hours.
No, not unless its in your agreement with the Council.Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
perfect - thank you Alex for your help.
HAppy to help.AlexIf this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: