How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1382
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have been with my partner years.. initially he portrayed

This answer was rated:

I have been with my partner for 3 years.. initially he portrayed himself as being someone very different.. swept me off my feet and within a couple of months we were engaged. He has a daughter (who's mother died shortly after she was born).. he was very convincing in his ways and we all got along very well. After a short time he suggested I give up my house (rented) and move him with him, sell my car as I could have his as it was more family friendly.. he also asked me to leave my job and work for him in his business running his office.
Within the first year I discovered he is an alcoholic, aggressive bully who is very controlling.. I do everything for his daughter including all her medical/educational appointments (she has cerebal palsy and learning difficulties). I run the house and look after her and 50% his son from a previous relationship. Within this year I also found out that he has been cheating on me.
We have an arrangement that he would pay me a some of money each month (a kind of house keeping) if I invoiced him so he could put it through his business to cut his tax.
He has now stopped paying this and our relationship has deteriorated badly and he continues to cheat repeatedly.
He knows that I have a very strong bond with his daughter who now calls me 'mum'..he also knows that he has complete financially tied up and keeps me on a very short lead.
I have nowhere else to go if I leave and he know if I leave I lose my home, my income, my car etc..
Do I have any rights at all....Is there anything I can do??
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you. I am very sorry to hear how your partner has been treating you. Please may I ask: - did you marry?- in respect of his property have you 1) paid mortgage, 2) paid a deposit, 3) renovated? Kindest Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for you help..
We didn't marry
I didn't put anything in for deposit etc..
I pay for all shopping (not allowed to shop in cheap places) and what ever the daughter may need on a day to day basis.
I make the home so anything for the house furnishings etc I buy...he won't put my name on anything..I Had to fight to get my name on the council tax bill so I could use it for proof of address. He won't put my name on anything legal..
Hello Thank you for your response. I am so sorry to tell you that you do not have any rights in relation to his property or even spending time with his daughter. I consider that it is likely that your partner knows the Law. As you have not married and have to the deposit or mortgage - then you have no claim to his property. By making you pay for the shopping instead - he has made sure you have no claim. If you had married it wouldn't have mattered if you hadn't paid a deposit or the mortgage but the laws are terribly different for unmarried couples - which doesn't help you at all. You are of course entitled to any furnishing that you have purchased. In relation to his daughter - as you are not a biological relative then a court would be very unlikely to order that she spend any time with you. I am so sorry - as I know that this isn't what you want to hear. I do consider that you should consider contacting a domestic violence support group. You should not have to put up with aggressive behaviour and you should not be left feeling that there is no option for you. Support can be wide ranging from a chat to a cooking course with ladies who have had similar experiences to housing through a refuge if this is required. Have a look at this site. You are not alone. Kindest Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate my service so that credit is received for helping you today.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you