How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1373
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My partner and i have just slip up. we have a 3 year old

Customer Question

hi, my partner and i have just slip up. we have a 3 year old little boy together. he is not mine but i was there as her partner while she was pregnant and for his birth. basically all his life. he calls me dad and we love each other very much. i have paid my way with him all his life. we are talking hundreds of pounds per mounth. i work fall time and she claims benefits. i believe she will not be able to support him by herself. due to mental health issues she suffers from borderline personality disorder and lack of money. as you can probably guess she is refusing to let me see him. i just want to know what my rights are. please ask me any questions you like.
many thanks simon
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Hello Simon Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. I am very sorry to hear about what has happened. Whilst I appreciate that you know that you are not the biological father of the little boy - can I ask: wee you named on his birth certificate? did you marry his mother before the birth? Kindest Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. No my name is ***** ***** the birth certificate. I went with her to do the birth certificate. But I remember reading it would be forgery if I put my name on it. And no we was not married.Simon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm sorry if I don't respond straight away. But I'm at a funeral today. It's not been a good week for me.Simon
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Hello Simon I do apologise for my delay in responding to you. I hope that today has gone as well as possible. I am so sorry to tell you this but the legal position is that you have no parental responsibility for the child and the court are going to be very unlikely to make any order for you to spend time with the child. I know that this is not what you want to hear - and this is certainly not what I want to be telling you. I note that there are concerns about the mother. Just to let you know - if there came a point when the Local Authority considered that the mother couldn't care for the child - then they will look to family members as potential carers. Whilst they will prioritise family members first - if there was no such option available - given the close relationship that you have detailed - the Local Authority may well support you as a placement option. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you. Kindest Regards Caroline If you have found this service useful - please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for helping you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay caroline thank you for your advice I guessed this was the case but I just wanted to make sure I had not missed anything. The thing I hate most about this, is the fact I want to be there for my little man and her still. I am more then happy to give her as much money she wants or needs or anything she wants for him. But she does not want anything from me. She has completely stone walled me. And I know of awfully men it a similar position to me who will not give anything to there children but have all the legal rights and only have they children because they have to. It just not fair.
but thank you simon
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Dear Simon You sound like a true gentlemen. I hope things work out for you. Kindest Regards Caroline