How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My ex is re married and last year after an argument he tried

This answer was rated:

my ex is re married and last year after an argument he tried to strangle her. She called the police and they wrote to social services to inform them. My son was not there at the time and later his wife dropped the charges against him. The social services however have recommended that he only has supervised access. There was also a previous complaint against him by the school as his breathe smelt of alcohol on a few occasions when collecting him from school. The supervised access is currently being done by his mum but she constantly pressures me saying because the social have said the case is closed he should therefore have normal access. I have wrote to the social and they have said after speaking to him he shows no accountability for his actions and feels supervised access is unfair due to the charges being dropped. I have letter from the social worker saying that she recommend I continue to only allow the supervised access. My question is would I get in trouble if I allowed him un supervised access again, especially if something happened as I may be considered has not having my child's safety in mind.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. Please may I ask: - how old is your child?- are there any court orders in place?- what is the current regime for supervised contact?- have you allowed any unsupervised contact?- is there anyone else who could help with supervision? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my son is 10
His mum takes him to dads house every Sunday from 11am to 6pm then brings him back home to me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I should also add that I was subjected to mental abuse within the relationship and suffered major depression after the birth of our son due to the volatile relationship with him, in the end I left him when our son was 3 years of age.
Before my time with him he was married and they also had a son. Because of the mental abuse she suffered she took him to court and he has been denied access to his other son for the past 12 years.
Hello Thank you for your response. You do have to abide by the letter that you have been given by social services in respect of the supervised contact. Social Services have likely closed their case because they are content that you are able to safeguard your son. If you do allow any unsupervised contact then you could be placing yourself at risk or criticism. You have to protect your son and prioritise your son over and above any one else. Social Services must be concerned about your ex if they have stipulated supervised contact only. If your ex wants to prove that he is not a risk - then it is him that needs to do this. Your ex would have to address his issues such as anger management etc. If you did allow unsupervised contact the local authority could take further action such as seeking a court order to share parental responsibility and even placing your son in foster care. I am so sorry to hear how your ex treated you - he obviously has a history of aggressive behaviour. Do not let him bully you into having ay unsupervised contact - it just isn't worth the risk. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can assist you further or clarify anything for you. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate my service so that credit is received for helping you today.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for putting my mind at rest and confirming I was in the right and not the wrong that his mother tends to make me feel.
Your welcome. The onus is on him to prove himself - not you. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can help you further. Kindest Regards Caroline