How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was overpaid by the tax office and they want tne monies back.

This answer was rated:

i was overpaid by the tax office and they want tne monies back. However i cleared some debt with the money and i need to pay back in instalments. The tax office will only give me a limited time to pay back and i need more time . what can i do.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.For now please let me know how much is owing please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£12,500 to be precise
Was it their fault or did you not declare something?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i filled in my self assessment and they say it was wrong, i got a repayment back of 30,000,00 they then aske dfor the money back . I paid back 18000.00 and have tried an arrangement. The self assessment was not filled in wrong. They stated i told them i lived abroad , when i clearly did not
Ok - so it was their fault? Have you asked for a copy of the return?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, what would this acheive
Because you can check to see whether you told them you were living abroad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
fine, then what can i do, i
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if the tax return is correct , can i legally ask for a longer
period t pay back? Where do i stand if they have made a mistake?
In law is this was a payment of benefits, if it was their fault then you would not have to repay it. However if this is a repayment of tax which they said was not owing, but is now, sadly you do have to pay it back.However given it was their mistake and through no fault of your own, they should allow you longer to pay it back.There is no law involved in this but because its their fault, then you should not be penalised.If they try and get you to pay it back quicker you can threaten them with a Judicial Review - this is where a Judge in the High Court examines their decision to seek repay back and sees whether it is legal or reasonable. A court can agree with the decision or remit it back for further consideration.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if i lost, would i be given a shorter period of time and maybe lose my home?
Potentially but it was their fault. Therefore you shouldnt be penalised.Does that clarify?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you