How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49850
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am a victim of online fraud. I live in the USA and 2 years

Customer Question

Hi I am a victim of online fraud. I live in the USA and 2 years ago I purchased a chess set, from a "dealer" in UK. Once she got the money ($10 000) he kept making up reasons based on which she could not sent me the set and kept asking me time and time again to "bare with her" until she can supply me with the goods. I got fed up in the end (it took me 2 years!) and asked for a refund but she didn't reply anymore. Then i managed to track her down (the only info I initially had was her email address) and I had someone from UK call her and ask (in a civilised manner of course - I do have the recordings) for the refund to my paypal account. She went to the police and made a complaint and lied that she was bullied and she felt her life was in danger. this isn't a problem as i do have the phone conversation recorded. I would however like to submit my own complaint, where do i do this? How do I go about this, please advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you mean you wish to make your own complaint to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I don't know what is the best course of action, I think at this point the police should get involved. I asked this "dealer" person for a refund, and as a response she vanished, ignoring all of my subsequent emails...then I found her ph nr eventually and she was asked for the refund via the ph...then she made a complaint at the police that SHE is the bullied party! She says she'll pay in full in one go but I need to wait until the end of March...but I've been exposed to her delaying tactics for 2 years now, I really had enough. Please advise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for taking my question into consideration Ben, I am a bit puzzled I don't know how this works... I received no email from justanswer ... Also prior to paying I had no knowledge of the fact that answering my question can take up to one day (too long). I also paid for a detailed answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
have the police been in touch with you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this what i implied? No!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
No, but I need to check - you said she had complained to the police so I wanted to know if that led to anything? How did you find out about it - did she tell you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes she emailed me after i asked her again for a refund. her complaint can't lead to anything because there was nothing to complain about in the first place (i have recorded the conversation no threat was made whatsoever). i am the victim and really, i just want my money back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this service genuine?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is, but I do have to get my response ready and I deal with a number of other customers at the same time so an immediate response is not always possible
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Whilst she may have reported this to the police (or it could just be a bluff anyway as all you have is her word) they are unlikely to do anything about this, especially as you are located abroad. This will not impact you in any way. If you want to report this yourself then you are free to contact the police directly, although they will most likely see this matter as a civil issue and refuse to assist, advising you that you need to sort it out via the civil law options, such as court. I know you believe that this is a case of fraud and a criminal matter but in reality it will likely be a breach of contract matter, so a civil one. The issue with making your own complaint to the police is that this is done in person so calling them or emailing them is unlikely to be very effective. In all honesty and realistically – the police are quite unlikely to be of any use to you here. If you wish to report it as fraud you can do so here: If nothing comes out of a complaint with the police, your only option is court. You did use PayPal but if they are unwilling to help or you are too late to raise a complaint then it would be legal action next. The issue is that you cannot make a claim in the UK so you will have to do this in the US and obtain a court judgment there, then you will have to try and register that in the UK to be able to enforce it there against her. This will take time and money and it will not guarantee you get your money back so it is a risk, however with no other options it may be one you are willing to take. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.