How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I currently receive Disability Living Allowance, I have a "Blue

This answer was rated:

I currently receive Disability Living Allowance, I have a "Blue Badge" for my car. I am retired and can't really do too much by way of exercise, the problems all stem from replacement knees and hips which have not gone according to plan ( in one knee I have had 3 knee joint replacements)
I however can manage a round of golf with my single seat ride-on Buggy. The problem I now have is that my Golf Club has tried to push a policy through where, if the ground is wet, members using Electric Trolleys are allowed to play but I am not allowed to play because they say (wrongly) that I will damage the course. I have pointed out that I cause no more damage than an electric trolley.
My question is this "are they allowed to do this" my understanding of the Laws governing this is that if the course is open to any members, then it must be open to me using my buggy. Can you clarify this please.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Are you saying they are treating you differently because of your disability?alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can only play using my buggy therefore by not allowing a buggy to be used, in my opinion they are discriminating against me.
When you say trying to push it forward, I assume it's not yet in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have erected a notice saying "No Buggies", which means I cannot play because I need the buggie to get round the course.
Ok, this may be an offence under the Equality Act 2010 because you are being treated differently.You can certainly take them to Court over this or get the Equality Commission to investigate. I would try that service first of all because it is free. They are independant and can examine your complaint for free at: that does not work then you can issue proceedings for breach of the Equality Act 2010. You can do this by completing form n1: Court will list the matter for hearing, decide whether they have breached it and if so award compensation and make them reverse it.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you