How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am about to get married 2nd time and the property

Customer Question

I am about to get married for the 2nd time and the property will leave in currently and will continue to live in is mortgage in my name with £97000 deposit paid with my money. Can I protext this deposit and my in home in anyway once we are married?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. You should consider entering into a pre-nuptial agreement with your spouse prior to the wedding taking place. This can set terms of agreement such as division and protection of assets in the event of a divorce. However, in the event of a divorce the court will consider all the circumstances of the matter, including your needs, your spouse's needs and the needs of any children when deciding on how assets should be divided. At this point in time, the courts will take into consideration pre-nuptial agreements, but they have the power to make orders which are not in accordance with the agreement, depending on needs at the time of divorce. You should also be aware, that even if a pre-nuptial agreement is entered into - your spouse will have matrimonial home rights regarding the property, which means that she has a right to occupy the property until divorce or a court order excluding her from the property.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.