How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35078
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Over 13 years ago I made the most stupid thing in my

This answer was rated:

Over 13 years ago I made the most stupid thing in my life: I was getting married ( I am not British) , I was a divorcee and was sure I had the right papers with me but was wrong. So I panicked and conceal this fact and gave my current surname as my birth surname to avoid any questions. Is there any time limitation on this or is there anything I can do to amend this? Thank you very much in advance for your advice.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWere you married in the UkWhy do you wish to take action on this now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare,Yes, I was married in UK. Since then, I have become a professional and at present, I am thinking to apply for a naturalisation and have to provide a birth name on the form. And to be honest, I has always been playing on my mind, I am afraid it may have a negative impact on my career and I just do not know what to do.Kate
It is unlikely that this will cause a problem of any sort.Yes it was technically a false report and you should not have done it.However provided you were in fact free to marry then in fact there is no action that will be takenIndeed it is unlikely that this will be noticed Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you think then, that it is reasonable to assume that I can provide my correct birth name on the naturalisation form? Could you tell me what may, hypothetically speaking, happen if somebody cross references my data and will find this discrepancy?
Thank youKate
Yes you should provide this.If the discrepancy is noticed you may be asked - and should explain it was a mistake and show the evidence that you were free to marry!
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you