How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JustAnswerKM Your Own Question
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 42
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
Type Your Law Question Here...
JustAnswerKM is online now

I recently came across a copy of my Grandmother's

This answer was rated:

I recently came across a copy of my Grandmother's will where she clearly states that my brother, sister and I were to receive £100 at the age of 21. None of us received this money. I have contacted the bank but they say they were not excecutors of the will and have no trace of it on file.
On the first page of the will, it clearly states in the first paragraph ; "I appoint the Provincial bank limited to be the Executor and Trustee of this my will....
The remainder of my grandmother's estate also remains in question.
The will was drawn up by the Provincial bank (now the NatWest) in 1967, my grandmother died in 1979. How can I get the bank to look into this without just brushing me off saying that the papers have probably been destroyed by now?
I do accept that this all dates from over 30 years ago but there must be some trace of my grandmother's money.
Yours sincerely
Louise Griffin
Good afternoon Louise Thank you for your message, I will do my best to help. My answer is based on you having the original Will in your possession. Please let me know it this is not the case. Firstly, where a bank or company merges or amalgamates with another, arrangements should be made to cover existing appointments as executors contained in a Will, therefore Natwest are deemed to be the executors of the Will. Perhaps the best place to start is by searching the Will register (no guarantee that it was registered), this way you can rule out any Will that may have revoked the one you have in your possession. Use the link below to search online: *Please bear in mind if no assets are discovered, there will be no inheritance to pay out. Something to think about before investing time and money into this matter. If there is no record of a Will registered against your grandmother's name and you have exhausted all means of searching (contacted Solicitors local to where she lived, asked friends and family if they knew of her making a Will etc) then consider asking Natwest bank to renounce their position as Executor. A deed of renunciation will need to be drawn up either by them or they may ask you to provide one. Your Solicitor can draw one up. You can then apply to be the administrator of the estate to carry out probate. This is a Will that was drawn up 30 years ago so you may have difficulty tracing assets that far back so do consider the costs that may be involved instructing a Solicitor or inheritance specialist to help with the tracing. Assets may have been discovered but as no one claimed the rights to them, it may have passed onto the crown. Do contact the Treasury to find out if they hold any records of your grandmother's estate. HM Treasury, The Correspondence and Enquiry Unit, 1 Horse Guards Road, London SW1A 2HQEmail:***@******.*** enquiries(###) ###-####5000 Please let me know if you require further clarity on the points I mentioned above as I have provided a long answer. I hope that helps. Best of luck, Kind regards Krystel *Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.
JustAnswerKM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you