How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71056
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I paid £200 online to Learner Riders Ltd (9291962) motorbike course. I turned up

This answer was rated:

Hi, I paid £200 online to Learner Riders Ltd (9291962) for a motorbike course. I turned up for the course and and they failed to show up...wasting my whole day because I couldn't plan anything else. I was so disappointed and stressed that I lost faith in this company.
Later, Denise Todd (owner) admitted to me via email that it was "humman error" that she did not send a cancellation email. I asked her for a refund (which she declined saying they can still provide a service at a new site). I said i'm not prepared to travel 11 miles away to a new site to do this course and would like a refund. I have had to take my business elsewhere (locally) to do a motorbike course.
The company is now being proposed to be struck off the Companies House register. I hear Learner Riders Ltd have unpaid rent/debt overdue and I'm not the only person chasing them for my money back!
I basically paid £200 for a service I haven't received and Denise Todd will not give a refund, at all. Can I get my mone
Why did they fail to show up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo! They didn't say. I was just standing there at 07:45am (as instructed by email) onsite like a lemon and had to keep calling and calling their mobile phone and landline. No answer. I called back around 12midday to which she replied she "thought" she sent a cancellation email. I said I wouldn't be standing onsite if they had.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She admitted via email that the email didn't get sent out due to "humm
an error". They won't give a refund but can still provide the service (at another site).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The "new" site (not stated on their website or email) is 11miles away from the original site and i'm not prepared to travel that far. The new site is not what I paid for. I wanted to do the motorbike course local to my home.
That is not particularly good news I'm afraid.The short answer is that you could sue at the small claims court. There are two problems with that. The first is that it sounds as though they are going under. If so, the claim would die with limited company unless you can actually prove fraud.
The second is that they could argue that they were able to offer the service. The fact that they didn't on this occasion doesn't preclude the offer on another date. I realise that you had lost faith in them but that is quite a high legal test and one instance of failing to attend as a result of human error is not going to get over the hurdle. Something like them having no qualified instructors would.
If they are still trading though then probably they wouldn't contest it. It is not worth the manpower hours.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When she accepted my booking, they must have already known they were in serious debt because they owe a large amount of unpaid rent to the original training site.
Yes, but that doesn't make it fraud.Companies shouldn't be trading if they can't pay their bills but they do and sometimes they trade out of the financial problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Denise Todd is the owner. Her husband is the motorbike instructor. He has now being self employed as an instructor at a local motorbike training course.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are the chances of winning in a small claims court?
If they are going under then it is not particularly high I'm afraid.If they are still trading then it could go either way. I am afraid I could not be sure a Judge would find your argument compelling. Clearly you had every right to be annoyed about their failure to attend but it is not enough to lose faith in a company. That said, you still haven't had the service from them unless they are arguing they kept somebody available for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I argue that they didn't provide a service, as agreed by email at the address/training site given?
You could argue anything but it isn't going to work. Unless the contract said time is of the essence the delay is a non issue.The location will not be such a specific term of the contract that failing to provide it there allows you to leave.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So there's no chance in claiming back my £200?
No, that is not what I said.If they are still trading then it could go either still haven't had the service from them unless they are arguing they kept somebody available for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jo I appreciate it! What do you suggest I can do next?
Are they still trading to your knowledge?I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think so because their website is no longer available online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But I do think the husband has gone to work self employed under another company.
It depends how much risk you want to take.You could sue the individuals and try to argue that they should be personally liable because the company is a sham. The risk is that if you lose then you could be liable for actual costs. You can find out if the company is defunct from companies house.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are pending to be struck off. They had their first warning/notification in the Gazette on Feb 9th 2016.
Ok. That is that then. Your only options then are to sue and get a CCJ that may not lead to any money or to sue the individuals and take the risk of costs or to write the money off as a bad debt I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Roughly how much would is cost to sue them and get a CCJ?
Under £50. That is not expensive. It just might not be worthwhile.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will be if it goes onto their credit history.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually, I paid the £200 via my credit card. I refused to pay it but Learner Riders told my credit card company that they can still provide me a service...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and I would still have to pay...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But if Learner Riders Ltd are going under...then they can't provide me a service? Can I try to dispute it again with my credit card company under section 75
Your credit card company are a better defendant because they can pay.You would probably lose for the reasons above but I would imagine the credit card company would just settle. They won't go to court over £200.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I refuse to pay my credit card for the £200?
No. They will just add late payment fees and defaults to your account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can put it back into dispute with my credit card company stating that I haven't received a service (because they are being struck off the Companies House)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
*Can I
You could do that but they will not agree.the truth is that if they contested it you would probably lose for the reasons above.If you sue at the small claims court though then they might just throw their hand in as it is cheaper to pay out then devote manpower to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I sue them personally, would I be able to claim back solicitors costs from them if I win?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have a habit of starting up a company, then do what they want, scam people out of money. Then get struck off the Companies House. Then do it all again. Start up a new company...and it goes on...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is why they don't give a flying monkeys about customer service and how they treat people. And they know all the tricks in book 'no refund. Can still provide the service at a later date....."
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This was the only response she kept a parrot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And she was smug about it knowing that I cannot get my refund. Because they knew they were already in deep doo-doo.
You won't have to pay solicitors costs. It is a small claims court sum so you can represent yourself.If she provide the service then you do have a difficulty.What she cannot lawfully do is close down companies and set up new ones taking people's money and not offering the service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jo! This was causing me frustration and stress for the past few months. Thanks for clarifying my questions. I should have come on here sooner!! Take care
No problem.All the best.