How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

There, I am renting a garden flat but haven't had a

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
I am renting a garden flat but haven't had a garden due to renovations for 6 months. The landlord did not tell me and it's not in the contract. Where do I stand?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.When did you move in please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I moved in April 2015. Garden was out of bounds from September until about 2 weeks ago.
Thanks. How much are you paying in rent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£1343 per calender month. Are you able to ask me more than one question a time to save us going back and forth?
Sure. How much do you want to claim back, last question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea that's what I'm asking. Can I ask for something back and if so how much? Do I have a tenants right? Have I been misled/mis sold? Do I have a case? What I don't know is how much a garden is worth, as the proportion of rent.
Yes you do - if the garden was included then the Landlord is in breach of contract and you have a claim.I think you can claim probably about 10% of the rent. You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?ALex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: