How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I live in a rented flat on a rolling monthly tenancy. I know

This answer was rated:

I live in a rented flat on a rolling monthly tenancy. I know from an independent witness that they entered the flat aided by the landlord. at the time I was off sick off work with stress. Is this legal and could they use the fact that I was off with depression to not inform in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
inform me!!!
Hi, thank you for your question. The landlord is legally obligated to provide you reasonable written notice, and not less than 24 hours, that they wish to enter the property and the landlord and agent cannot enter without your permission. If the landlord continues to do this you should remind them of the law and that you are entitled to pursue an application to court for trespass.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have the police acted illegally?
What were the reasons for the police entering the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe to look at my computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and should they have informed me...
Not necessarily. Did the police have a warrant to enter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if there was one I did not see it...
Situations in which the police can enter premises without a warrant include when they want to:-deal with a breach of the peace or prevent it-enforce an arrest warrant-arrest a person in connection with certain offences-recapture someone who has escaped from custody-save life or prevent serious damage to property.Apart from when they are preventing serious injury to life or property, the police must have reasonable grounds for believing that the person they are looking for is on the premises. Were you arrested?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no I have heard nothing since and this was 14 months ago
Thanks - why is it only being raised now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should I lodge a complaint?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had depression and only got back to work this year...just wanted to forget about it...
OK, thanks. You will initially need to make enquiries about whether there was an arrest warrant or not. Without that information a complaint may be fruitless
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you
No worries