How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50179
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Daughter was Engaged he got someone else Pregnant ( best

This answer was rated:

Daughter was Engaged he got someone else
Pregnant ( best friend), now he wants engagement ring back. does she have to give it back
Thank you
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When was the ring given to her? Please note I am just due in a meeting so will reply fully early this afternoon, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
June 2015 , woman baby due may 2016
He told her to get out .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So she went to stay with the best friend
Then she found out he had been seeing
Her behind her back.she has just had it valued even though it cost 2000 they will give 400 pounds for diamond .
Thank you for your patience. Your daughter’s rights will be governed under a piece of legislation, which specifically states that the gift of an engagement ring shall be presumed to be an absolute gift, which means that she would be legally entitled to keep it, even if the engagement was broken off. The only time he would be able to claim it back would be if he can prove that the ring was given on the condition that it should be returned if the marriage did not take place for any reason. So to answer your question – she does not have to give it back unless he can show that he had given it on the condition she would have to return it if the engagement was broken off. I can give you specific reference to the legislation in question which you can then use as reference and show it to him or use it as a defence if the need arises, so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Reference to the legislation would be helpful .as he's being quite nasty
Thank you, ***** ***** legislation is The Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1970, specifically Section 3 and you can find reference to it here: