Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My girlfriend and I purchased a house in December 2014 at a

My girlfriend and I purchased a house in December 2014 at a cost of £190000 which I have paid a deposit of £46,000, all the purchase costs e.g. Solicitors and mortgage set up fees and all the renovation costs of £10,000. Since then I have paid all outgoing bills I.e. Mortgage, insurances, life insurance, tv, electric, gas, council tax apart from payments that has been made from my girlfriend of £500 in December 2015 and £500 in February 2016. The house is now worth £235,000. The house was registered with Land Registry as held in joint names with the deposit secured in my name of £44,000 and the rest to be shared equally. My girlfriend was at Uni until May 2015 when she moved in permanently. Would I be entitled to a larger share of the equity as the relationship has broken down and she is living there at the moment but I have moved out.
Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a deed of trust or formal agreement regarding contributions creating a greater share of the property for whoever makes them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a trust deed that says the house is held as tenants in common and that the deposit comes back to me then the rest in shared equally
Thank you. Unfortunately, without demonstration of intent that greater contributions will increase your share of the property, the equity after your deposit is settled should be shared equally.