How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My daughter (18 years old) was groomed and subsequently sexually

This answer was rated:

My daughter (18 years old) was groomed and subsequently sexually abused, when she was 17, by a man who has also been sending obscene sexual photos and messages to girls aged around 13-15. He has been arrested and bailed by the police. My daughter has been deeply traumatised by the experience and is going to prepare a witness statement. Her fear is that, if the CPS decide to bring a prosecution, she will have to go to court and the defence lawyers will tear her apart. Can we engage a lawyer to advise and support her through this process? Thank you
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Sadly you can engage a lawyer to support her, but there is no point. She can not have her own lawyer acting for her.The CPS will instruct a lawyer to represent the Crown (Police) which will include her interests.If she gives evidence then she could ask for special measures, ie screens or video link so does not see the Defendant.If any questions are inappropriate the CPS lawyer can object and in any event the Judge will keep an eye on things.Therefore there is no need to have her own lawyer.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The reason I'm asking if we should engage a lawyer is because the police detective told her that the defence's lawyers would seek to put all the blame for the abuse on her. We would like to get a sense of whether her evidence is strong enough to make a difference to the Crown's case, and to make it worth the pain of going to trial. Also some guidance on how to prepare her statement. If the man gets off scot-free and she is trashed, it would be better not to embark on this course.
When will you call me please?
what is your number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
07770 544628. Thought I had already sent it to you!
I will call shortly.