How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am having trouble with my neighbor regarding noise nuisance.

This answer was rated:

I am having trouble with my neighbor regarding noise nuisance. What can I do about it?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Could you please explain your situation a little more?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am a tenant living in social housing. I am having his eyes with my neighbor. Apparently, I have been told that I cannot do anything about anything that has happened in the past. The problem is people coming into the flat, getting very rowdy and drunk (sometimes they do this outside in the communal area and you can hear it quite a distance away). I have had problems with loud music being played but this has not happened in the last three months. Environmental health and Safer Partnership team are unwilling to do anything as are my landlord. I understand that some properties aren't very well soundproof and noise from daily living will be heard but this is unreasonable noise. I'd like to know if there is a law that protects tenants regarding the right to peace and any other rights I may have.Thanks
Is he a council or housing association tenant? Why are environmental health not doing anything about it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Housing Association. Environmental health say there is very little they can do about noise from people.
Have they ever installed noise monitoring at your property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They never bothered. They should have done because when they originally wrote to me they said they would do this but it never happened.
Ok, you should write to the chief officer of the council and make a formal complaint. That office will investigate and report back to you. They should then install it and take action if necessary.If they still don't you can complain to the local government ombudsman. They are Indepednent of the council and can examine your complaint for free at you can take action yourself, but you would need evidence of the noise, such as a dairy etc. Showing when it happened and when You would need to complete form n1 court would list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make an order requiring the noise to be stopped or reduced.If the court and the neighbour refuses this is contempt of court. Which they can be warned, fined or sent to prisonCan I clairfy anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That all sounds reasonable. I was just wondering how the law protects me in regards ***** ***** and quiet? Are there time restrictions on noise in a residential area still? Being disabled the noise does affect me more.
There are levels which the council need to consider. If it's above a certain level it's a statutory nuisance. Below that it is not and in that case there is nothing you can do. It's all to do with the Decibel level.
Can I clarify anything else?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you happen to know what the decibal range is?
In the United Kingdom The ACT (Environment Protection Act of 1997) sets out seven zones for the purposes of acceptable noise. Daytime (between 7am and 10pm for Mondays to Saturdays or 8am to 10pm on Sundays and public levels):Zone A (industrial areas): 65 dB(A);Zone B (city and town centres): 60 dB(A);Zone C (group centres, office areas and the Parliamentary triangle): 55 dB(A);Zone D (commercial areas) and Zone E (broadacre and recreation areas): 50 dB(A);Zone G (residential and all other areas): 45 dB(A).Nighttime (between 10pm and 7am for Mondays to Saturdays or 10pm to 8am Sundays and public holidays). The treshold is in general lowered by 10 dB(A) in comparison to daytime levels. The exception is Zone D, which is lowered by 15 dB(A):Zone A (industrial areas): 55 dB(A);Zone B (city and town centres): 50 dB(A);Zone C (group centres, office areas and the Parliamentary triangle): 45 dB(A);Zone D (commercial areas): 34 dB(A);Zone E (broadacre and recreation areas): 40 dB(A);Zone G (residential and all other areas): 35 dB(A).
Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. You have been very helpful.
Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I rate you?
you should be able to click on the stars or happy face.
Let me know if you can't see it.Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you