How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1431
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I m planning a pregnancy with a coparent and would like

This answer was rated:

I m planning a pregnancy with a coparent and would like to set up a coparenting agreement prior to birth which will define responsibilities and boundaries. are these kind of agreements possible in UK? Can It be included in the agreement that the mother will be the main carer for the baby and that the baby will stay with me at all times?
Can it also include that the father has limited rights on the baby, decisional power etc..
basically I want to make sure I can take all major decisions for the wellbeing of the child and that the father would not be able to take it away for me but will contribute financially and with the upbringing of the child. Can i stop the father from having parental responsibilty or limit it?
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you. Please may I clarify your role in the co-parent - are you to be the birth mother? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Thank you for your response. One more question - is it intended that the father should have some relationship with the child? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he will be involved. But I want to make sure I have control of the situation and that he can t take the child from me . I d like to be able to call all the shots .
Hello The court emphasis is one of co-parenting when this is in the child best interest. The court consider that a child has a right to a relationship with both of their parents. The courts expects parents to be able to work together to agree as schedule as to when the child will spend time with both of you. Whilst it is certainly possible and advisable to record the time that your child will spend with both of you - as this will help you both come to an agreement - it is still possible for a parent to make an application to court for a child arrangement order in respect of spending time with the child if agreement cannot be reached. The court would not be bound by any previous agreement that you had recorded. If you dont want the father to have parental responsibility for the child - then you can choose not to name the father on the child birth certificate. A court can later grant parental responsibility if you were to do this. There is no way that you can limit the fathers parental responsibility. Family Mediation is something you can consider. Family mediation will try ad assist you both agree arrangements. Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate my service.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you