How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My ex partner and I split up 6 months ago on which I asked

This answer was rated:

My ex partner and I split up 6 months ago on which I asked him to pay me back money that was owed to me for various cash amounts that he had borrowed from me. He did this by taking out a loan but now as he is struggling to make the payments he wants me to give him a large proportion of the money back in what he has labelled as backdated rent for the house we shared. Although I didn't pay rent or utilities on the property, I paid for our food, car and other living expenses. Whilst together and when conversation was made on rent/utilities I would suggest we review what each of us pays to which he was always content with what each of us paid. Now we are no longer together he is requesting that I make payment backdated for this rent or he will take me to court. Grateful if you could advise where I stand legally with this issue.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.How much is owing please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In total he owed me £20,000 - this was over 7 years.
And it was never suggested, agreed or discussed that you would ever be liable for back rent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Never suggested at all. I made a point of periodically discussing with him if he was happy with the arrangements to which he responded positively each time.
Ok, then you are not liable. This is retrospective and therefore cant be enforced. He can not get you to make an agreement for something which was never discussed or agreed. That simply can't happen.So if he takes you to Court a Judge will ask when was this agreed - he will say it was not. The Judge will then dismiss the case.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you - Just to clarify even though he paid me back for the loans I gave him (which were for things outside of our living expenses arrangements) he can't ask for this back?
Correct. It was never agreed.
Does that clarify?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes thank you
Great, good luck