Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Can I resign from my job without getting into trouble

Hello Justin, my name is ***** ***** I am an employment lawyer and I am happy to help you today. Please can you explain the situation in more detail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just don't way to go back to the same job as its not good atmosphere I have been there 6 months now and no happy at all
Is there a notice period in your contract?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Think so but I don't want to work it
Ok is your employer likely to lose any money or contracts if you do not work your notice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's tesco so they have people all the time there I have been off for 2 weeks now off sick
Ok in that case there is no risk at all. If you do not work your notice you will not be paid any notice pay. They may refer to the fact that you did not work your notice if you ask them to provide references for you in the future. You should write to them to say you are resigning with immediate effect. Is there anything further you would like to know about this? If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for answering your question. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry so dose that mean I can't get into trouble for this
Yes you cannot get in trouble for this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry so dose that mean I can resign tonight as I am night shift last question I promise
You can resign whenever you like. You cannot get in trouble for it. The employer may ask you to work your notice if you say you don't want to then there is nothing they can do but you obviously won't be paid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No courts or anything like that as its tesco a big company
definitely no courts. I promise they will do nothing about this it happens all the time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you so much
No problem, please do remember to rate my answer before leaving the site and all the best for the future.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry one more thing do I resign to the night manager or line manger and I can put from today's date as I have been on sick and where do I rate you
Hi you can put it in from todays date and give it to your line manager, if they are not there you can give it to the night manager. If you do not want to work tonights shift at all you could phone and say you are resigning and put a letter in the post to confirm. There should be a green button with a smiley face or an accept button. If you can't see them then you can tell me that you accept my answer and I will be able to get paid from that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok just a bit worried about doing this but it's for the best for me are I 100% they can't do anything about this sorry for going on
No they can't do anything at all. They won't pay you your notice but there is no action they can take. They can't force you to work.
Hi is there anything further you would like to know as you have not yet rated my answer?