How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My dad has received a petition . My mother wants

This answer was rated:

My dad has received a petition for divorce. My mother wants to sever the joint tenancy at the matrimonial home and have asked him to sign a Notice of Severance. He has until 11 March to do so then they will file an application to sever the joint tenancy at the Land Registry. Can they sever the tenancy without my dad's signature?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you In fact the Severance has already happened - and did so the minute your father saw the noticeAll that remains is for it to be Registered at the Land RegistryPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So does that mean that his name has been taken off the house. He has not signed any papers.
Your father still owns his share of the property - all that the severance means is that if your mother dies tomorrow your father will not automatically get her half of the houseEqually if he dies your mother will not automatically get his half either
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you