How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My former partner is selling the property we lived in which

Customer Question

My former partner is selling the property we lived in which I paid the mortgage for 10 years and also developed whilst there building a large extension and loft conversion during that time I have been split up for 12 years and have had a verbal agreement that she would give me 50k at the time , now she is selling the property is it possible to put a charge on it as I haven't persuaded the situ because of the children?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgageHas she said that she will not give you anything?How far has the sale reached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare
Property is worth and currently on the market for £500,000 the purchase price was 84 k in 1994 22yrs ago we split in 2004 said she would give me 50k then didn't , I never pursued it at the time as the children were 5 and 2 She has never offered me any since but has asked my children not to tell me she is selling the house ! That was today so trying to work out what to do ? As I put my inheritance into the property
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And it was my son who told me she is selling the property today
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Why is the property in her sole name?Who paid the deposit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The property was in her name and she paid the initial deposit although I paid the mortgage and built a 85 k extension and loft conversion
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
How much did that increase the value of the house (percentage)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It would of increased the value by approx 35%
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
My apologies for the delay - my answer appears to have disappeared into the internet etherYou have a clear claim on a share of the proceeds of sale maybe 35% - possibly more given that you also paid the mortgage.You can register your potential rights by way of a Notice on the Register at the same time you do need to try and discuss matters with her using Family mediation.If that fails then you will have to apply to the courts for an order using the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees ActYou can read more here ask if you need further details