How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12178
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I just wanted to know if I could sue a newspaper

Customer Question

Hi, I just wanted to know if I could sue a newspaper for printing an article about me saying that I did a kiss and tell story on a celebrity. I never spoke to them apart from saying no comment. The article came out and said that I had told them everything and that I'd sold my story, that never happened. What they did do is copy an article about me from 12 years previous and changed the names but if you read both article they're identical. Now on internet when they talk about this celebrity they still print out my name and how I sold this story.. its so frustrating as I never did
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The answer to your question is yes. If the story that was printed about you is untrue then it is actionable if the consequence has been upset to you or damage to your reputation. The only thing you have to take into account is that you would have to fund the action yourself and claim your costs if you win. There is no form of legal aid for a court action of this type. I hope this helps. I am happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if I can help you further with this. Can you also remember to leave a positive feedback on the system so that the site credits me for my time. Thanks for using JustAnswer.