How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I went into partnership with a so called friend buying and

This answer was rated:

i went into partnership with a so called friend buying and selling a few cars, in total i put in about �4000 plus �900 deposit on the insurance for the last 2 months ive heard nothing back from him until today where he threatened me with violence. ive asked where the cars are and he wouldnt give answer. I believe hes sold them and kept the money. how do i stand where there was nothing in writing but he does admit there was a deal done. Have i a case to claim my money back. Regards Paul
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was this a cash deal? Do you have any proof of the money you gave him? Also have you thought about reporting this matter to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i have thought about reporting to police however i am reluctant as i hought he was a friend and also he put his father on phone and he said that the police had said ir was a civil matter. Now whether he had actually spoke to them i very much doubt as when i asked where the cars were he couldnt answer. Do you suggest this is my next course of action?
It is a civil matter but he appears to have been dishonest in his dealings with you, which really amounts to fraud. I suggest you speak with the police directly - even in business dealings people can commit criminal offences so there is no reason why the police can't investigate this for you. Apart from anything else they can deal with these things far more quickly and cheaply than going to court. If police will not take action you need to write and set out your losses and request a reimbursement within 14 days or say you will go to court. Your claim is on the basis of a breach of your agreement. You should make sure you send this letter by signed delivery and keep a copy.If he does not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce by sending bailiffs to seize his property or by putting a charge on his house, for example.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you