Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I was caught using a mobile phone whilst driving last April and forgot to pay the fine etc

I was caught using a mobile phone whilst driving last April and forgot to pay the fine etc. I've had a court summons yesterday and intend to plead guilty. What are the likely outcomes and will I have a ccj.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. A Magistrates Court fine, for a driving offence, does not result in a CCJ being recorded against and will not affect your credit rating. So long as the fine is paid within the time limit set by the court then no further enforcement action will be taken. The penalty for using a mobile phone whilst driving is 3 points plus a fine and costs - the amount is dependent on your disposable income and you will have to complete a financial statement to help the court to assess the sum that should be set. Hope this helps - happy to discuss further if needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In your opinion, what is the likely fine for someone who earns around £18k a year.
Would a letter to the court help in any way?
A letter explaining the circumstances is always helpful. An apology and guilty plea will result in a discount of the fine. In terms of the amount - it's difficult to say, but if you plead guilty it shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred pounds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Finally, i have recently started a job with Dyfed/Powys police with the victim support team. Will this affect me in any way?
That I don't know I'm afraid - you will have to look at their recruitment criteria to see whether or not this is something that had to be disclosed. Only the relevant force will be able to guide you on this specific issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much for your advice
My pleasure - please remember to take a moment to rate my answer so that I am paid for my time. Many thanks, Alice.