How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Madam, I have a complicated case which I have been

Customer Question

Dear sir/madam,
I have a complicated case which I have been trying my best to sort out and I'm writing to you hoping that you could provide a solution so I can get on with my life.
Briefly, this is the issue -
I got married eleven years ago in my country of Romania to a Saudi national who I met whilst working in his country (Saudi). I myself am Romanian.
The marriage survived less than 3 months and we both went our separate ways. We have not been in contact with each other for eleven years due mainly to the fact that I don't know where he is. I can only assume he is in Saudi somewhere. I have tried finding him through the authorities in Saudi to start the divorce but they are not willing to help a European female. I also don't know the address of any family members. I'm also a little reluctant to finding him now due to receiving physical threats in the past.
I have tried to get a divorce in my country of Romania but it failed due to the issue of him being untraceable. It was also causing me a lot of stress and money. The courts in my country are not the best and the case was going to drag on for years.
I have now been engaged to an English citizen for three and a half years and we've been held back from getting married due to this unresolved issue.
We are both currently working in Saudi.
My fiancée has recently divorced and had to sell his house in uk. We are both out here in Saudi saving up to buy a house in uk and get married. My fiancée doesn't have a uk address at the moment, only his parents do. I myself only have a property in my country of Romania.
This issue is holding us back in many ways.
Please can you tell me if I can get divorced in England? I know I'm not a resident at the moment but we both fully intend on living back in England once we return from Saudi.
Thank you, *****
Mr David Steele.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Info - I have no shared property or financial ties with my husband.
There are no children issues.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youI am afraid that you will have to live in the UK for at least 12 months before you can issue a Divorce Petition hereHowever once you are able to do so you will be able to issue a petition and also an applictaion for the court to dispense with service -you will have to state the efforts that you have made to trace himI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare