How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My former flatmate asked me to pay unreasonable amount

This answer was rated:

Hello, my former flatmate asked me to pay unreasonable amount of money to him for food and drinks consumed half a year ago. He messaged me many unpleasant words (a kind of language violence) and made me feel very upset and not deal to go home. Could his act be considered as blackmailing? It happened about 2 month ago.
Thanks a lot, Monica
Hello were you threatened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He didn't really threatened me for taking any hostile act. But his angry words and his previous act made me scared. He once opened my door at midnight when I was sleeping.
That is not blackmail I'm afraid.That is just an unpleasant message.Blackmail involves a demand with menaces. Menaces are quite clearly defined in law. It involves things like making threats to put naked images on the internet or making actual threats of violence. Usually the later.This is just an unpleasant message I'm afraid.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your answer. Is it sexual offenses as he opened my door at midnight without authorization, and he also played porn movie loudly outside my room. But unfortunately I was so scared and didn't take any photo as evidence.
No. It is just not an offence.Watching porn however loudly is lawful in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much. Could you suggest me anything to stop his unpleasant words, as it really makes me pressed and upset. I don't know what to do...
I'm not sure you need to have contact with him really. If you owe him money then just pay what you accept owing and then ignore him.People who are genuinely receiving no response soon give up.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for all your answers, they're very helpful