How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

If I repair the approach to a ford,which does not have any

This answer was rated:

If I repair the approach to a ford,which does not have any registered owner, and which is currently in a dangerous and impassable state, would I then be liable if someone has an accident using it?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Do you make the vehicle roadworthy please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You misunderstand the word ford. A ford is a river crossing and in this instance I am primarily interested in repairing it to make it safe for horses
Oh I see you dont mean Ford the make, but ford as in water across the road! Sorry....... Are you the landowner which it crosses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. There is no registered owner to be found despite exhaustive searches and therefore no one whose responsibility it is to repair the ford approach. I am prepared to do it but want to know my legal position if, say, someone falls off their horse and looks to sue somebody. If I could be liable can I get insurance to cover me, remembering I don't own the land?
Ok - if you carry out repairs and something happens then yes you would be liable.You need to show you are qualified to carry out such civil engineering works. If not then you open yourself up to a negligence claim because you would not be qualified.You may get insurance but you would need to get a broker for this. Someone must own the land, it just may be unregistered.But yes you can do the work, but you may be liable for any accidents as a result.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you