How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49867
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have been working in Saudi Arabia since 1991 large

Customer Question

I have been working in Saudi Arabia since 1991 for a large British (English) Company. My conditions of service states that I #'' will be paid in Sterling each month directly into a bank of my choice within the United Kingdom banking system.''
Today I received a notice from the Company that, due to changes in Saudi Labour law, sometime in the near future I will be paid in Saudi Riyals into a Saudi Bank Account which I must now open.
I appreciate that this is not the fault of the Company, but neither is it my fault. Is this a Contractual Change whereby the Company should offer me the option and, therefore, compensate me for breach of contract?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is your contract governed by UK law?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Paragraph 24 of my Conditions of Service, quote: '' The contract shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with English Law and be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.''
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
What losses will you suffer as a result of this change?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is unclear as yet. However in a FAQ sheet the Company has stated that it ''cannot guarantee that we will not be disadvantaged.''
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Whilst this will amount to a change to your contractual terms and conditions, you cannot realistically seek compensation unless you can show that you have suffered losses as a result. You will not be compensated for the fact that the terms were changed, without there being any detriment to you as a result. So for example, if as a result of the exchange rate you will have a noticeable reduction in pay, you may indeed ask the employer to compensate you for that by adjusting your pay to keep it in line with your contracted rate of pay. However, if it is just going to result in inconvenience to you, such as having to open a new bank account and having to move money between accounts, that will not be a quantifiable loss for which you can seek compensation, so it is only actual losses which you can do that for. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.