How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

What can i do if I have mice infestation in the flat where

This answer was rated:

What can i do if I have mice infestation in the flat where I am tenant. I already called city council and payed £30 . somebody come and told me because is a small studio flat he can not use poison. I informed the agency from who I rent the flat and they send building manager with some traps.Now I have 2 sound device 4 mouse traps and one trap. I still see mice in Kitchen and in bathroom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not sleep for a week. my daughter the same. we are not eating anymore in the kitchen.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What type of tenancy do you have please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I an a tenant at County Property (Management Dept)
Tel: 01483 883900
Fax: 01483 729121
Surrey House,*****Woking GU21 6HW
Have you complained to the Council about this? If so why did you have to pay for them to come out for mice when it is their property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I caled city council .I payed £30 they send somebody but because the studio flat was to small he did nothing and i will be reinbursed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After that I informed Letting Agency about that
This is their answer:
Good afternoonThe Block Management Company are arranging for a "Pest" control company to call you to start a series of treatment / investigations.A company called "Integrated Pest Management" will be contacting you, please keep your phone switched on and listen out for their call.I hope your evening is not too stressful, can you please keep me updated with this?Kind RegardsElaine FindlayProperty Managertel: 01483 883940web: www.countyp.comProperty Management DepartmentSurrey House*****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Block manager come with some trap with poison yesterday. no effect on mice
Ok, you need to speak to Environmental Health and make a formal complaint.They will investigate this for you and come out.If nothing happens then you can complain to the chief officers office. That department will investigate this disgraceful lack of response from the Council. That department is independent and will report back to you.Finally if that does not work you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They are a totally different organisation to the Council and can examine your complaint for free at: take these steps and that should resolve your problem quickly.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can I determine my letting agency to relocate us on their expenses me till the problem is solved. I am afraid for my daughter health
Sadly not. The property would need to be declare unfit for habitation for that to happen.I am sorry.
But if you take the steps above, this should resolve it quick for you.You may also want to get your local Councillor involved as they are elected by you.Can I clarify anything else for you?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but mice infestation do not make the flat unfit for habitation ? Can I ask deduction from the rent till problem is solved?
Yes you can ask for a deduction and compensation.You need to write and set out your losses and request a deduction within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not deduct you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have reasons to believe that Letting Agecy knew about mice infestation and hide it from me > I moved here in November .Is that legal?
No, they should have told you and you can sue for breach of contract.
Does that clarify?Alex
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Alex W.
Happy to helpAlex