How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JustAnswerKM Your Own Question
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 42
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
Type Your Law Question Here...
JustAnswerKM is online now

My wife and i set up a trust 10 years ago. Now find it no longer

This answer was rated:

my wife and i set up a trust 10 years ago. Now find it no longer suitable. Can WE cancel by contacting Solicitor, and would their be a charge?
Good eveningThank you for your message, I will do my best to help.The answer in short as to whether you can cancel the Trust depends on whether the Trust instrument (document) permits you both as Settlors to cancel (also known as 'revoke') the Trust. Check the document for a revocation clause. In respect of costs, yes there is likely to be a cost, please see below.If the Trust is revocable, then you can simply instruct a Solicitor to prepare the necessary legal document (similar to a declaration) for both of you to sign confirming revocation of the Trust. You will have to shop around to find out about the cost of drawing up the document. I suspect a cost between £300 and £500 depending on the complexity of the Trust.However if the Trust is irrevocable, you will need the Court's permission to cancel the Trust. The cost of Court proceedings will depend on the Solicitor's hourly rate. The Solicitor will be able to give you a more accurate time frame and estimation of costs.I hope that helps. Best of luck,Kind regards Krystel*Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.
JustAnswerKM and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your rating