How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am an author writing under a pseudonym for 'legal reasons.

This answer was rated:

I am an author writing under a pseudonym for 'legal reasons. My book has been onsale now for more than 7 years. It became a bestseller and is still selling. For reasons, nothing to do with the book, a relative has contacted my publisher and said I identified them on social media. I did not do this. She and my daughter with whom I have fallen out, posted some nasty comments on my social media, telling everyone their real names and my real name. Then they rang the publisher saying I did this. The publisher is now taking my book off the market " As you’re obviously aware, in the UK publicly identifying the victims of sexual abuse is a crime, and given the various links that have recently been made between your pseudonym and the real identities of the people who feature in the book, it is our duty and responsibility as publishers to immediately take this [email protected] What can I do and where do I stand in this matter please?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Does your contract with the publisher say they can do this please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think they have to give me 3 months notice but have taken the book off sale today. Is illegal for anyone to name, directly or indirectly a victim of child sexual abuse? If so, what can I do about it?
Is it illegal - no. Not unless there is a Court order to the contrary.You need to ask them to reinstate the book sales or say you will go to Court otherwise.If they refuse then I would get a local Solicitor to write a letter and ask they reinstate or again say you will go to Court.If they refuse then you can seek a Court order to require them to comply with the contract. You would need to complete form N1: N16a Court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether make an order. If the Court does and they refuse then this is contempt of Court and they can be warned, fined or sent to prison.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can my publisher's legal team,say it is illegal in the UK and you say it isn't without a court order. There is no court order. I don't understand why they have done this.?
Is there anything I can do to the people who named me on Social media and rang the publishers, saying I had done this?
I dont know why they have done this - but I can tell you unless there is a Court order you can do this. People on the news do it all the time.Sadly there is nothing you can do against the people who have made these claims as it is the Publishers that have made the decision
Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I don't think I could afford to take it to court.
Good luckAlex
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you