How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My wife and I are landlords of a property in Chatham, Kent.

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are landlords of a property in Chatham, Kent. The property was let(Shorthold Tenancy) to a lady who had custody of five of her grandchildren. The tenant died in march 2015 and the tenancy was taken on by her husband. A daughter and one granddaughter moved into the property to help care for the three miners. Unfortunately, the official tenant died on 19/03/2016. The older granddaughter and a daughter remain in the property but will not be able to afford the rent. They are looking for a smaller property, but are confronted by obstacles placed by Medway Council's Housing and Benefits,
Prior to the death of the official tenant, it was our intention to sell the property. In the mean time, with no contract issued to either of the occupying adults; with no reasonable advice from the Housing and Benefits office, they have approached me the consult with the council. The three youngsters (a girl and two boys aged between 6 and 10) are classified as having with Learning Disability.
I need the property back and they, therefore, need to be rehoused. What advice can you offer for their action with the council?
Michael Fortune
Hello Michael my name is ***** ***** I will help you.I assume they are on a periodic tenancy now?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am waiting for a response from expert
I need your number please Michael?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The current occupiers are not on any form of tenancy. They are hoping that the local authority will rehouse them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have sent you my contact details, here they are again.
Home: 01634 869 887
Mobile: 07913 339 754
Thanks. When would be good to talk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any day this week (except Thursday), including today. Can suggest that you give me a time, so that I can make sure that my wife is not occupying the telephone!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes please
Sadly I had already gone to bed at that point. Can I call today?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, between 11.00 am and 1.00 pm
I calling mobile and home number but sadly were not in!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex,
I am available to chat until sleep time.
Calling now. Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your call today and advice. I will now write to the two senior members of the family remaining in the property, pointing out that, as they are not on the letting contract, I require them to vacate the premises.
Can I send you a copy of the letter for your editing or just approval?
of course. Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alex, attached is a copy of letter I have written to the tenants. Are you certain that I do not have to also serve a section 21 notice?Mr M. Fortune
***** Walderslade
Tel: 01634 869887
Mobile:07913 339 754
Mr Nicola Mitchell
ME4 6HS 15th March 2016Dear Mrs Mitchell,Re: UNAUTHORISED OCCUPANCY
Mr Luke Mitchell***** Chatham, Kent, ME4 6HSIt is has recently been drawn to my attention that you have taken up residence at the property known as***** Chatham, Kent ME4 6HS.In accordance with the Rental Agreement issued to Mrs Betty Noades on 4th June 2010 and subsequently, on her passing, to Mr Tony Noades, the terms of the agreement does not include you as an authorised tenants in the premises. It is in this regard therefore, that I officially write to you, giving you, Mrs Nicola Mitchell, two month notice to vacate the premises.If, at the end of this notice period, you choose to continue occupancy of any part of the aforementioned premises I, as landlord of the premises, will have no alternative but to seek legal action to have you removed.Yours sincerely,M. Fortune
Land Lords
Yes that is fine. If you are unsure there is nothing wrong with serving a S.21 notice as well. But they dont have a right to be there, so you dont need a S.21. But send one at the same time if you want.