How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3844
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

If somebody pay me a fee him a job in uk and

This answer was rated:

If somebody pay me a fee for giving him a job in uk and now he may want to go to the police trying to accuse me that I took money for the job , will this mean I will get in problems with the police?
Hi thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If this individual paid you for a service and you did not provide the service this won't be a criminal offence but he may have the right to sue you to recover the money as a civil matter. Can you provide me with any further information? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi AJ,
Thank you for the response.
My name is***** am going to tell you the story...
I am working in a big rent car company and my boss have always asked me to recruit new people and there was many people which I have helped them to get a job to the company and because of this many of them contacted me to help them with jobs which is what I did but just to a few persons I have asked for a fee .
I think I help like 20 people or more
Now there is a guy which I had a big argument with him and he said that if I will dismiss him he will go to the police to do a demand against me because of the fee I asked for the job.
Let me tell you that he was the one who asked me for help to get a job and agree to pay me the fee. Apart of this I have advise him how to sort out his legal documentation to work in Uk and also I have offered him a room to rent to my friends house.
Every weekend he get drunk and have a violent attitude and recently he attack my friend trying to hit her while she was holding her 8 months baby. Obviously my friend call me to go and help her and I got in a very bad discussion with this guy .
I want to demand him to the police for what he did to my friend.
In the first weeks his salary was paid in my account and I had to stop my fee from his salary
I haven't forced or obligated nobody to pay me a fee , they agree to pay me because they was desperate to get a job.
We are from Romania .
I don't know all the laws in uk but i.e. In my country this thing wouldn't be a problem for me because they looked for me and contacted me and offer me fee to make sure I will look after them and especially offer them a job.
Can you please advise ?
Thank you.
Hi. Thank you. The fee they paid was for consultation services essentially? Is this individual working for your employer or another employer? The assault on your friend is a separate issue and should not intimidate your from reporting the crime. I look forward to hearing from you Kind regards AJ
Alex J. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Working for my employer.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex,
I need the best advise because I want to sort this problem out Asap. I want to report to the police my friend assault and also I need to know how can I defend myself .
This guy is living in my friend house and is making her living there very uncomfortable plus is offending her each time he has the chance.
Thank you.
Hi thank you - is he tenant in her house or just a lodger? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is a tenant .
Can you please advise on my question regarding how can I defend my self?
Thank you.
hi. Thank you - do you mean defend yourself from a physical assault? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No , what I mean is regarding my first question, the beginning of this conversation?
Remember this guy pay me a fee to offer him a job.
It is illegal to accept fee against a service?
Hi, Thank you. No it is not illegal to accept a fee for a service. If you have provided the service and he disputes this he would have to sue you to recover the money. This is a civil matter not a criminal claim. If he wants to do this it is his prerogative (rightly or wrongly) - you would have to just show the court your emails and correspondence where you agreed to provide the service and he agreed to pay for it. Did you send him an invoice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the response .
No I haven't issue him any invoice.
Buy the way I have reported him to the police regarding the assault to my friend .Thank you.
Hi thank you. Do you have any emails where you agreed a price for the service?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a declaration from him, written and signed by him saying that he haven't been asked by me for any fee... Will that help? Thank you
Hi thank you. Yes that could be used in any defence if he tried to sue you. That would be evidence that you had a contract and valid reason to be paid. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank very much.
No problem. I wish you the best of luck.Kind regards Alex