How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My daughter has been bullied verbally over the past 2 years

This answer was rated:

Hi my daughter has been bullied verbally over the past 2 years we removed my daughter & placed in another school of which the bully a year later got a placement as we were told the school could not refuse here entery, it distruped my daughter for a while & she is copping well , how ever the parent of the bully has spread rumers that my daughter has been caught smoking canabis has & is bullying her daughter & in general a nasty person , it may seem trivial but we've had to live with this for years & now watch the parent join in trying to destroy my daughters reputation. Is there any thing we can do , I have already spoken to the parents once 2 years ago & this Friday just gone . Which has fallen on deaf ears . Cheers Michael.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I can sue them or have them prosecuted to stop them trying to further damage my daughter.
No. Defamation is not a criminal offence.This could potentially amount to a defamation arguably but I'm afraid that making comments of this nature is not likely to get over the hurdle of causing 'serious damage' as the new law requires and anyway there is no ascertainable financial loss.You could get a solicitor to write to them for about £100 plus VAT warning of the laws of defamation and that is often very effective but it doesn't give rise to an action per se.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No . Thank you for awnser.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you