How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

How do I go about getting legal advice regarding bullying and

Customer Question

How do I go about getting legal advice regarding bullying and harassment from a family member. My Father in Law to be specific. We live on the same farm holding and he has bullied me on numberous occasions and also my husband (and sometimes our younger member of staff) at times. He says the most terrible things to us and specifically me and on one occasion has been so intimidating that my husband had to physically grab him and pull him away from me.
He is extremely intimidating when he is angry and frustrated, which he seems to be most of the time. It is really getting me down now and I feel quite depressed at times. My husband and I have had counselling about his behaviour and the counsellor thought that he was displaying traits the narcissistic spectrum.
I just want it to stop but my husband is frightened to confront him at all or even write him a letter because of the possible repercussions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.How much contact do you have to have with him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Quite a lot as we live on the same holding. I have to pass him on the farm road which he has often tried to run me off, even when I've had my young niece in the car. I have to pass him in the farm yards and he often tries to start arguments or shouts at me or does things to seemingly endanger my life. He is extremely spiteful too. I am not exaggerating as he really can be a nasty piece of work. He is the farm tenant at present, he is 70 years old and my husband (40) is a partner in the farm business with him. My husband is frightened of him too and some of the family, whereas I've stood up to his bullying in the past which is probably why he hates me, I'm running out of strength. The last time I stood up to him by asking him why he has to be so rude, he just hurled insults, abuse, shouted and swore at me and I felt I shouldn't have stood up to him.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Has he ever actually physically assaulted you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, not physically he was just shouting right in my face and making me keep walking backwards. I eventually went to slap him across his cheek as it was the only thing I could think to do and my husband then went behind him and grabbed his arms to pull him away from me. He stopped shouting then and turned round and went leaving us both very shaken.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This was about 2 years ago now. The latest incident was the end of January were he did a similar thing to my husband. He said many awful things such as shouting at me that I can't breed (I suffered a miscarriage Christmas 2014)
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Have you considered moving away?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is not possible as my husband and him are partners in the business, the farm holding has been in the family 200 years and eventually the business and farm tenancy will pass to my husband and then to any child we may have.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried asking other family members to assist you in talking to him?