How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother passed away in September 2015. She wrote a will around 28 years ago which is the

Customer Question

My mother passed away in September 2015. She wrote a will around 28 years ago which is the one used leaving everything to my father but she wrote a more recent one when my nan died 6 months before the same year. Before mum went into my hospital my mother told my sister where her will was - in her filling cabinet- when my sister got around to getting it it was an empty envelope. We know there is a second will and that my father has probably taken it. Also when she was in hospital she wanted to write another will leaving her estate to her 3 children but was too ill to complete it. My father wants to gift us money of around £50,000 each but this will be heavily taxed and the second will may have said about leaving money to her children as well as her husband or just get children. I believe my mum wrote a will at the same solicitors with nan but I don't know which solicitor how can I find the solicitors so I can find my mums second will?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Dear Cassy, if you don't know the solicitors whom your Mum used to create her final will, then the way a will is located is that an advertisement, stating the name of the deceased is placed in a solicitor practitioner's journal, such as the Solicitor's Journal asking anyone who dealt with the deceased to contact the solicitor named in the advertisement. In this way, you can get members of the solicitor's profession to see if they have a will belonging to your Mother. This is the method used in many cases, if you cannot determine which solicitor, if any, your Mum used to create her will. However, as a first step, I would advise you to hire a local solicitor to search for a will, because a solicitor local to where your Mum lived can personally ask the other solicitors in the area, whom your Mum might have dealt with, if they have a will belonging to your mother.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionThe first question is about the extent of the Estate and how it is made upThis is important as if most of the assets were in joint names then they would have passed toy our father in any event.Clare