How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I'm being evicted there is no tennency agreement and my landlady

This answer was rated:

I'm being evicted there is no tennency agreement and my landlady has been claiming single ocuupancy on the property there is a lot more to this but we was without central heating for four months and since this she has turned nasty the environmentle health are involved because of this she has also threatened to change the locks x Also we pay rent to her daughter's account before that it was cash please help I don't think she has been declaring the rent to avoid tax
We haven't got anywhere to go and I have five children we are not in any rent arrears but can't risk giving any rent at the moment because if she changes the locks
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.For now please let me know whether the landlady lives in?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't want to sound like I'm bothered about moving it's her house I respect that but the way that I've been treated after being here for eight years I also had a four grand debt to the council tax which we have paid because we had said we were lodgers at the beginning but I had been painful it already in my rent
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have had our eviction letters for the 16 May they arrived through the post on Saturday morning seeking possession pursuant to section 21 of the housing act 1988 saying if we fail to vacate that the cost incurred in doing so will be sought to us
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No she never has
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there Alex
Ok - then she can't change the locks - that is unlawful.If you have been staying there then she can get serve a S.21 notice which gives you 2 months notice to leave. If you are outside your fixed tenancy then sadly the Landlady can send this.This gives you 2 months notice. If you dont move then they can apply to Court for possession. This will give you a little more time to move out.If you dont move out then the Landlady can apply for a warrant of eviction. You would be given a date for a bailiff appointment and at this time you would have to move out.But the Landlady can only serve S.21 notice if your deposit has been protected.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There isn't a tennency agreement never had one
Yes but the Landlord still can issue a 2 months notice, then seek an order for possession and then a warrant of eviction.Even if you had an assured shorthold tenancy (AST) your rights are very limited. But as you have no agreement you have the same rights as an ASTBut this is the procedure for obtaining possession. The Landlady can NOT change the locks.
Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about my rent going to her daughter's account And will I get charged if it went to court I can't afford the costs
An application to Court is £250. As for rent going into daughters account that is not relevant to possession but you can report to HMRC at:
Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long would all this take so that it gives me chance to find something I feel that being without central heating and the council tax she has got away with all this I've had to pay four grand of council tax because we had no idea what she was claiming I feel so angry that she can treat us like this we had no heating for four months I have five children aged from 20 right down to 3 there must be something I can do please help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've got every text she has sent me as well
S.21 notice is 2 months, to get to Court around 6 weeks, possession probably given another 28 days and then another 4-6 weeks for bailiff.Once you get the Order for possession then you can go to the Council and look to get rehoused.You can try now but they usually want a Court order before they do anything.
Does that help clarify the position?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if we go before the balieffs come I won't be charged anything x I'm not trying to be awkward it's just I need time my children are in school one is doing exams I work full time so I need my mom's help where I live.Surely a judge will have a bit of sympathy can she serve notice if under investigation with environmental health
Its an extra £100 if bailiffs turn up. A Judge is unlikely to delay possession as without a tenancy agreement you have no security whatsoever. This is a problem. I am sorry, but the Council should rehouse you but they are likely to only do this when there is an order for possession.
I am sorry its not better news.Can I clarify anything else?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Once we end this conversation do you only take one off payment and the last question is with me paying her rent into her daughter's account is that not right
Yes its a one off payment.If the Landlady is having it into her daughters account you should report this to HMRC.You dont know whether or not the Landlady is declaring the income.So you can report it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help
Sorry its not better news.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At least I know I don't want to spend a lot of money to fight it if I don't have a case I don't want to stay in the house longer than I should. It's about what she's done frauding the tax
Correct. But you should report the fraud. Dont let them get away with it - its a criminal act.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thsnkyou you have been very helpful x
Thanks. Good luck and please remember to rate so the site credits me for the time spent with you.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will do but how do you do it x