How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50178
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I took out a loan partner - he then cleared off. Where

This answer was rated:

I took out a loan for my partner - he then cleared off. Where do I stand getting the £ from him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this only happened today
total of loan £11000 plus £2000 on credit card
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was there an agreement that he would pay it back? Please note that due to the time I am going offline shortly but will repsond fully in the morning, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
verbal only - nothing written though I do have a spreadsheet I drew up before he left which he saw and verbally agreed to for some of the debt
Good morning, Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can these things be done by email rather than letter? I have no address as don't know where he is.
Yes email is fine, you can still have copies of emails which you can use as evidence. Hope this clarifies?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wont have evidence that he has read / received them - does that matter?
No, if you know it is a valid email address on which he can be contacted then that would be sufficient
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What evidence might I need to prove loan was for him ie coerced into applying
Whatever you have - correspondence between you, emails, texts, letters. If there is nothing documentary in terms of evidence then it will have to be your verbal evidence - whatever you say happened and the court will decide if they will take that as evidence and believe you