How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10981
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My mother died 3 years ago and left her house to my brother,

This answer was rated:

My mother died 3 years ago and left her house to my brother, and the cash was split, at the time the solicitor was concerned that it wasn't 50/50 and asked if I would like to contest it, my mother did not like me. We asked my brother to think about making it fairer as I wanted to pay my mortgage off he refused, we haven't spoke since, my uncle died last week and it has brought it all back, I now feel that I should fight for what should of been a fair share, but most importantly I want to feel that I was thought of the same as my brother in our family.
1. Dear *****, under English law, there is only a period of six months within which you can contest the distribution under a will. Once this period has passed, then you lose the rights to contest how equitably the division of assets was. Accordingly, I regret to say that after three years, you will no longer be able to contest the division of monies by your mother under her will as the statute of Limitations operates to have made your claim time barred. So I regret you will be unable to do anything about this issue now.
2. Please Rate the Answer, as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you