How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49827
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I had to go overseas and left my car with a garage person.

Customer Question

Hi- i had to go overseas and left my car with a garage person. Who agreed to do it for 350 ever 3 months. Its been 2 years now and i am happy to pay the amount and get my car back. But he wants cash and to make an extra payment is asking for extra vat?? If this allowed?? Am i being bulled
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you please clarify if he is just asking for VAT on top of the amount you owe? Also was it agreed that you would be paying by another method than cash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is asking for vat on top of amount i owe. I do not have the amount of cash on me so I have agreed to pay by card previously which he declined. Last conversation he agreed for the amount to be send to his account but stopped half way through and wanted cash. Today when I approached him about payment he said, either I pay cash or give him vat on top of the amount.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
If he is a VAT-registered business and has provided you with a service through that business then he is required to charge VAT on top. That is not his choice, it is going to be a legal requirement. However, many traders ask to be paid in cash and knock off the VAT aspect of the charges. This is an illegal practice as it amounts to VAT fraud – it reduces their Vat liabilities and also as this income is likely to be undeclared it will reduce their income tax liabilities. Even though illegal, some consumers willingly participate in this by agreeing to pay cash in hand as they also avoid having to pay VAT on their purchase and in effect get a 20% discount. So the choice is yours – you can pay cash and not have to pay VAT, although strictly speaking this is illegal. Or you could continue trying to pay on a card but he will be required to charge you VAT, which he should do regardless of how you are paying. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.