How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been renting a room in an hmo flat months. Within

This answer was rated:

I have been renting a room in an hmo flat for 5 months. Within the second month there was a leak from the ceiling in the room and I noticed constant condensation on the windows plus the room was consistently around 10 degrees if not colder. I informed my private landlord immediately. She told me she had informed the factors. The leak continued and the room continued to get more and more damp. I informed the landlord that the room was uncomfortable and smelled of damp and mildew especially the carpet.She said to put carpet freshener down to see if that helped. Finally after the 4th month I said that I could no longer live there and wanted to break the lease. She was happy to do so as long as I paid out the rest of the month. My question involves legal recourse as my lease says my landlord has a duty to have a water and wind tight abode. My clothes are full of damp and mildew and shoes I had put into the wardrobe near the windows are covered in mould and various other articles are either mouldy or damp. Also the window sills and walls underneath the windows are covered in black mould and even the alcove has green mould up the walls.She asked if I had contents insurance which I do not. And now that I'm moving out she said she will fix all the issues for another tenant to move in. I feel they should have been fixed while I was here. I did withhold one months rent hoping it would motivate her to do something but it did not work. Now she is keeping my security deposit in lieu of rent and as I'm moving out in the middle of the month she had me pay to the end if I wanted a reference. Any advice would be brilliant considering that any issues in the flat were never rectified or rectified months later by her husband who is not a professional carpenter or handy man. Thank you.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What is it you would like achieve please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like compensation for my damaged articles also I feel she should be taken to the authorities for allowing my health to be jeopardised. I have taken photographic evidence during my entire stay.
Do you want have a number to chat on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is your number correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, ***********
Calling now. Alex